Download the latest ISO form VMware website. As of Sept 2019 the latest version is ESXi 6.7.0 update 3 and the correct file is: VMware-VMvisor-Installer-6.7.0.update03-14320388.x86_64.iso
Make a bootable CD/DVD or USB with the above image and start the server from that image. Choose from the menu “ESXi – 6.7.0…”
- The installation will start, be patient.
- On the next window, click Enter to continue.
- Press F11 to accept User Agreement.
- Next window you will need to choose from the list, the drive where you will install ESXi 6.7.0. After you select the correct one, press Enter.
- If you previously had ESXi installed (even an old version) it will ask you if you want to Upgrade, Install a new version but keep the VMFS datastore or just Install a new version and delete all the files. Choose the one that works better for you, in my case I’ve choose the last one “Install ESXi and overwrite VMFS datastore”.
- Next step is to choose the root password.
- Last step is to confirm, press F11.
- Installation will start and will take some time, just relax.
- If everything run OK, you will see the message to Reboot. Press Enter and it’ll reboot the server.
- After the reboot, you will see the window with the ESXi IP. Please write it down, because you’ll need the IP to access the server and also to setup VMware Server Appliance in the next step.
- If you want to change the root password or the network configuration (change the IP / mask, change from static IP to DHCP IP) press F2 and put the root password.
- Make any changes and save. Press ESC to Log out from the System Customization Menu.
- If you did any changes to the root password or the IP, make sure you have the correct data because you’ll need those in order to connect the ESXi server. Open a browser and type the IP then put for the user: root and the password.
- After login successfully you will see the main page for the ESXi server. On the left side, you’ll see VMs, Storage, Networking. When you login for the first time you’ll see a message about license will expire in 60 days. If you have a key purchased from VMware you can change the license with your custom key.
- To assign another key, click on left panel on “Manage” and will open a new panel on the right side. Click on Licensing and then Assign license.
- After you Assigned a new key, the message with “Evaluation Key” will go off and at the center bottom, the area for Recent tasks you will see the message “Decode License”. This shows you that a new key was installed. Now you can go to step 2: Install VMware Server Appliance. If you look at Virtual Machines, right now shows no virtual machines are created or running on this server. First will install VMware Server Appliance and then will add another VM.